Orcinus orca or killer whale is one of protected marine mammals by the government in many European Countries like Norway, but also here in Asia especially in Indonesia.
We call them killer whales because they can kill whales. They eat everything except humans, they live in societies called pods and have several complex methods of communication. They can be found in all oceans.
Humans are not on their menu, really there is some research about it. So technically if you swim around the Orca pod, it will be safe.
And… here are another Orca fun facts that never ceases to amaze me.
- Spy-hopping. Orca behavior assesses its environment to see if there is food such as seals or other prey on the surface of the water.
- Eye Patch. The white color and eyepatch patterns help scientists identify the type. But to me, it’s like a big dolphin wearing a Venom mask :), yeah you know Venom from the movie, right? Venom also has an eyepatch 😀
- Slapping using their fluke. Orcas are intelligent mammals, they will find a technique to paralyze their prey before eating it. Orcas slap a stingray to immobilize it or “punch” a seal 80 feet (25 meters) into the air. Sometimes they get bored and play with their “victim”.
- Eating Great White Shark. The Orca Pod immobilizes Shark into a hypnotic tonic-immobility state, allowing him to easily kill Shark. Maybe if the Orcas could talk, they would say, “We eat Great White Sharks for breakfast.” 🙂
- Playful and brave. There are no natural predators for orcas, except humans. These creatures are human-friendly, so don’t be afraid if a curious Orca comes your way. Orca has never been afraid of anything but SeaWorld amusement parks LOL!
- Orca size as big as a bus. These beautiful creatures are difficult to see from the surface of the water, but adult Orcas have an average length of the bus (19 to 26 feet / 3 to 8 meters long) and can weigh up to six tons. Next time you are, for example, on the bus, imagine yourself taking an Orca ride 😀
- Black and white. Orca’s body has two unique colors whereas other mammals have only one color, such as gray or black. These colors help the Orca blend into the water. Black on top and white on their belly. But if we use the drone from above the Orca Pod, they can be seen through the white eye or the saddle-patch.
- Orcas are fair. When it comes to food, if they get their prey, then they make sure all the other pod members get it.
There are more facts about Orcas that never cease to amaze me. 😍😍
The cutest thing is that when the Orca spy-hopping, how adorable is this lovely creature? ♡♥
An Orca has also advanced bioacoustics. Sonar is one of the technology today used by submarine machines for military purposes that adapt from an Orca.
Orcas use echolocation for navigation, hunting, and communication. An Orca or other toothed whale-like Dolphin family can emit pulses into their environment.
Orcas use these pulses, listen for the echoes to determine the location, direction, speed, size, shape, and internal structure, and identify unique features of other objects or animals.
You’re fascinated with Orcas too, right?